If It's Tuesday: Rock Graffiti in Cinque Terre












































Rock Graffiti



I haven't posted an 'If It's Tuesday' post for some time.. Probably as every post is Tuesday since I returned from my trip.. Hope you aren't getting bored with all this travel?  Today I thought I'd bring you more on Cinque Terre and the links I promised .. 


Like many seaside towns in Italy,  the land in Cinque Terre rises sharply from the sea.. Steep rocky formations, worn and carved by the hands of time..  Some sand beaches can be found.. [see last post].. but residents and tourists don't seem to mind sunbathing on the rocky platforms surrounding these tiny villages and the blue blue mediterranean... A little rock art if you will..


The hands of time though didn't carve these expressions of love.. Tourists wishing to leave their mark and sentiments of eternal devotion do so by carving or painting their 'lovings' on the cliff walls.. .. Rock Graffiti peppers the trails that lead in and out of the villages.. and I was taken with these few...


Sadly though.. extreme weather has left a new mark on the villages.. As mentioned in my last post, the region was severely damaged by devastating floods and landslides.. Residents have been left without homes and businesses and much help is needed to cleanup and restore the losses.. 


In my search for a charity collecting on their behalf, I found a blog owned by an American expat living in the area.. Kate at 'Little Paradiso' ... She is posting updates on the situation and also has useful information for how to donate via the Italian Red Cross.. Rather than repeat it here.. I'll send you her way and you can see first hand what has been going on ......




Have A Great Week 
And please pop over and see Kate's blog





IMAGE SOURCE & CREDITS:
ALL Text, Original Photography & Artwork [copyright beingRuby©]
Shots taken at Cinque Terre, Italy,  August 2011


23 comments:

Teresa Hatfield ~ Splendid Sass said...

I am happy that you got good images before this happened.
So horrible.
Hope that you are having a nice week, Julie.
Teresa
xoxo

Kathy C said...

So glad your posting on the horrible situation in Cinque Terre. I was there in June and am so saddened by what has happened.

Blue Muse said...

Oh, the blue of that water is so gorgeous yourphotos never disappoint, dear Julie!
I am off to read more about what happened here (so sad!) and make a donation.
xo Isa
Ps - never tire of your travel stories! More, please!

Sandi @the WhistleStop Cafe said...

I'm not the least bit tired of your travels :-) It is traveling tuesday at the WhistleStop Cafe.

Cinque Terre is on our trip in May. We hope to support the community with our presence... and our Euros!

Sharon said...

The news from Cinque Terre is so heartbreaking. Your images are a document of it's beauty. They will need much help to rebuild their lives, their homes and this amazing place.

I always smile when I see Graffiti. Since ancient times humans have had a compelling desire, a primal need, to leave their marks on any available surface. In a world without graffiti we would not have the Cave Paintings at Lascaux or much of the Fine Arts.

Photography is a different story...and your photography is always sublime. Tired of your travel photos? NO.

Mise said...

It's such a shame that such a beautiful place should be so devastated. I like to think that some of that graffiti is very old, and that there was a romantic caveman who loved Camille.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

It was through your last post that my dream vacation place, where Ruben and I had the time of our lives, was so deeply affected by this freak storm. Oh how that place brings back incredible memories. While there, we were watching these crazy American college kids diving off the cliffs. WHAT A BLAST!

Great photos are usual mon amie! Anita

Marina Saclley @ Iced VoVo's said...

Just horrible what has happened in such a world heritage place.

Oh Julie your images bring back such lovely memories when we were there a year and a bit ago. We spent 2 divine weeks exploring the whole area and were never bored.

Did you do any of the coastal walks? We went from Riomaggiore to Manarola if I remember correctly ... with lots of rock graffiti along the way!

Gorgeous pics as always.
xx

Giulia said...

Lovely as always...I was going to leave Kate's blog link...you beat me to it. xoxo

Loree said...

What sweet little love notes. I am enjoying these travel posts a great deal.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

I am stargazing at the moment my dear, knowing and sitting in AWE that all of us are under the same outstretched canvas of stars.....peace dearest, Anita

Sue said...

Oh that water looks beautiful. I don't think I'd mind sitting on the rocks if I got to have that view!

rjerdee said...

It seems that the whole world is in need of help...so many devastating weather events.

Loved the graffiti...so human!

mermaid gallery said...

so sad what happened here....love the grafitti though in person i might find it offensive. I know the feeling of wanting to leave something behind though. I hid a token with my name on it in a cave on Crete where i camped for a couple of months. I went back once and found it and then hid it again. I know that a little bit of me is still there hidden away in the rocks....must be a primal instinct or something! ...loving your journey.....

Stephanie said...

Love the photos, and you especially for wanting to help and make a difference! xoxo

Pooch Purple Reign said...

loving all the italy posts !! i hope it stays tuesday
~laura xx

Renée Finberg said...

well i can say one thing that's terrific about the US.....
the red cross.

when i donate money-
it is always to them.
as always stunning images.
xx

La Petite Gallery said...

They must really be having a hard time, just like New orleans during the hurricane. Glad the Red Cross is doing something for a change.

yvonne

Jen Beaudet said...

Hi Julie! I guess my earlier post didn't go through! I love the rock art. Your a special person for posting about this. Hope your weekend is going well. Take care, Jennifer:)

count it all joy said...

Julie, these posts are spectacular. I've been saving up time to look at your travel posts all at once, sort of like a virtual coffee table book treasure:) Your photography is breathtaking, particularly because of the sense of time and place you bring to each one, placing them in context. Can't wait to see them all!! Meredy xo

Carole said...

I hadn't heard anything about this on the news...typical we'd rather listen to news of the Kardashians (sp?) uggh

Hope they recover soon,

hugs,
Carole
ps...gorgeous photos....thought one was you.

Life love, clutter and other beautiful things. said...

sigh these take me back!!!! xox

Lynne with an e said...

Such a stark and sad contrast between the beauty and bliss of your Cinque Terre photos and the videos of the devastation the area recently suffered. I hadn't heard about it till reading your blog. Your memories, pictures, and experience of the place must be even more precious to you now.